Education has been identified as key to reducing long-term poverty in Nunavik. In response to this, KRG spearheaded the ESUMA program through its Sustainable Employment Department. This initiative is funded by the Ministère de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale (MESS) and the Minister of Education and Higher Education (MEES) in order to support actions that fight poverty and social exclusion.
The mission of ESUMA is to create a Nunavik-wide synergy and enhance actions around education for all learners to persevere towards their success.
ESUMA is a concertation table on School Perseverance in Nunavik whose mandate is to:
- Help increase the graduation rate among students
- Offer Nunavimmiut support to enable them to develop their full potential.
- Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services
- Kativik School Board
- Northern Quebec Employees Association
- Kativik Regional Government
- Glencore, Raglan Mines
- Child Care Section
- Carrefour jeunesse-emploi Nunavik
- Taqramiut Nipingat Inc
- Makivik Corporation
- Canadian Royalties Inc